Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Early Bird Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

 

Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Genres: Dystopian

Release Date: February 14th, 2014

Source: Awesome blogging buddies. 

 

Synopsis:

Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.
In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

My Review:

Spoiler review for the entire series!

I can officially say this: I have the best book blogging buddies. Ever. Seriously. I saw them fangirling about Cress on Twitter, and naturally, told them how lucky they were to have an early ARC of Cress. A few days later, it popped up in my mailbox, and I basically freaked out. I had to step away from it for a while so I wasn’t so affected by the hype, but honestly, I should never have hesitated with this book. I can say that I liked Cinder and Scarlet, but this book cemented my love for this series.

I can also officially say this: Marissa Meyer is a plotting genius. Genius. My mouth was left hanging open so many times throughout the book, because she manages to weave these plot threads together in a way that ups the tension, yet manages to keep everything clear and cohesive. That’s quite the feat, considering just how many plot threads there are. So many different characters are going through separate journeys, in separate places, yet, everything manages to flow perfectly. I don’t even understand how Meyer managed to do it, but it’s amazing when things come together so perfectly, as it did again and again in this novel.

It’s also amazing how addicting this book is. Even though it’s not constant action, there’s always a sense of suspense and tension. It’s visceral, and that keeps you completely glued to the page, waiting to see what’s going to happen next, to see how things are going to come together. I really enjoyed this addicting quality that was present even in the slower parts of the book, and especially during the awesome action scenes.

Also, I loved seeing the character development of some of the particular characters. You know? Let me just flat-out say it: Throne and Cress. We get to see a lot more to Thorne that we didn’t in the previous book, and I loved it. There was an unprecedented amount of depth with him that was only hinted at in the previous novel. Also, Cress doesn’t seem like a very complex character at first. She’s a different kind of character, not widely depicted in YA dystopians, kind of for a reason. Yet, as the novel progresses, there’s a totally different side to her as well, and I really enjoyed seeing that side of her develop and grow.

However, I can’t say the same about some of the other characters, especially a few of the secondary ones. I’m not going into specifics, for spoilers’ sakes, but some of the characters that played pretty important roles just weren’t developed enough. It’s hard to do, with such a huge cast of characters, but there were some key scenes in which I felt that some of the secondary characters really could have been shone a little more. A lot of them fell a little too flat for me, which ultimately took away from the story.

Overall, this book. It’s good. More than that. With plotting that completely blew my mind, and some awesome character development, this is most definitely a worthy sequel. Even though some of the secondary characters fell a little flat, I can not wait for the conclusion of this series. Even if the first and second books of this series weren’t exactly your thing, still pick this book up. I personally think it’s the best of the series thus far, and I’m now anxiously awaiting the conclusion. I can already tell it’s going to be my favorite of the series. But for now, Cress holds that spot.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a little disappointed that the secondary characters weren't as well fleshed-out because there are a LOT of important ones, but I'm definitely looking forward to this because Thorne is just plain fantastic! ;) Great review, Aneeqah - I'm so glad you got to read this early like you wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you loved this one as much as you expected to! I love the sound of Cress and how Cress is one of those characters where you slowly learn more and more about them, because that's always such a great character. I'm sorry the secondary roles weren't up to par, though, because having a large cast of characters always runs that risk in the long run. I agree, Marissa Meyer is a genius for being able to keep her readers engaged 100% way through the book even though it's not always action, and a fantastic plot has already engaged me :) Fantastic review, Aneeqah! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thorne! I need Cress now. Sad that you thought the secondary characters fell flat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANEEQAH I HAVE MISSED YOU. anyhoo, this one sounds like it's not gonna make me disappointed! I can't wait to read more about Thorne and meet this unique sounding Cress.

    Brilliant review, luv! <33

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by on my blog! I read and appreciate every comment left on the blog. =) Feel free to say anything that you want- like if you disagree about a review, as long as it's polite. ;) I love hearing different opinions!

*Note: This is an award-free blog. I love that I get nominated for awards, but I don't have enough time to forward the award on. Sorry!