Monday, January 6, 2014

Mini-Reviews: Unravel Me and Altered

 

Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2) by Tahereh Mafi

Rating: 3.5/5 Stars

Genres: Dystopian

Release Date: February 5th, 2013

Source: Library

 

Synopsis:

tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.
She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.
In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.

My Review:

Coming with some considerate commotion, Shatter Me was a book I found interesting, but not ah-mazing. I saw a lot of potential in the sequel, which is why I even picked up Unravel Me despite my rather low rating for the first. A lot of things I found were improved upon, like the less-flowery writing (thank goodness!) and there was some much needed world-building in this one as well. My favorite aspect, by far, were the powers. I’m in love with anything to do with powers, so all of the unique ones in this book were just plain awesome sauce for me. Also, I’m just going throw this out there: Kenji. He’s by far my favorite character.

However, even with that, I could not stand Juliette in this book. She makes so many promises to actually do something, but she remained passive almost the entire time. I’m fine with a passive character developing into someone better- I think the dystopian genre as a whole is lacking with these kinds of characters. But despite saying that she was going to change, Juliette didn’t. It was annoying, and made me want to slap her. Repeatedly. On top of that, Adam just seemed… off in this book. Almost intentionally so.

Overall, Unravel Me was a decent book, although it created plenty of its own frustrations. I’ll be picking up the third book, only because I have issues with my curiosity.


 

Altered (Crewel #2) by Gennifer Albin

Rating: 3/5 Stars

Genres: Dystopian

Release Date: October 29th, 2013

Source: Library

 

Synopsis:

Life. Possibility. Choice.
All taken from Adelice by the Guild—until she took them back.

But amid the splendid ruins of Earth, Adelice discovers how dangerous freedom can be. Hunted by soulless Remnants sent by Cormac Patton and the Guild, Adelice finds a world that’s far from deserted. Although allies are easy to find on Earth, knowing who to trust isn’t. Because everyone has secrets, especially those Adelice loves most. Secrets they would kill to protect. Secrets that will redefine each of them. Torn between two brothers and two worlds, Adelice must choose what to fight for.

In this thrilling sequel to Crewel, Adelice is about to learn how tangled up her past and future really are. Her parents ran to protect her, but nothing can save her from her destiny, and once she uncovers the truth, it will change everything.

My Review:

Let us take a moment to mourn the loss of the beautiful cover of this book.

(Seriously, I don’t know why they changed the covers from the beautiful ones that Crewel and Altered originally had).

With that done, we can finally talk about this book itself. Crewel blew me away, but unfortunately, this sequel didn’t. It may have been more of a “It’s me, not you” thing, but regardless, there were things I couldn’t stand. However, I can most definitely say that I adored the plot twists in this book. I saw such few things coming, and was always pleasantly surprised, especially one towards the end that left me incoherent. I also really enjoyed learning about the world, and seeing the original concept, which I was enamored by in the first book, develop.

However, the romance. I couldn’t stand it. It soured the entire book for me. I just couldn’t stand the decisions that Adelice made, how quickly things developed. It irritated me beyond belief and took away so much from the book for me. It was a pretty central part of the book, and I hated how Adelice’s character suffered because of that. It made her less likable for me.

Overall, I can’t say that I’ll be picking up the next book, because I just couldn’t stand this one.

5 comments:

  1. The writing style of Unravel Me was something I couldn't get through with the constant strikes, but I'm glad l see you did enjoy it. I've heard the sequels are much stronger. As for Altered, I'm glad I skipped out on it. I wasn't a fan of the love triangle in Crewel itself, so I'd have probably disliked it even more in this second installment. Great mini-reviews, Aneeqah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry these sequels didn't do it for you! I haven't read either series. I'm curious about Shatter Me...I don't really read dystopian novels much so we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I can definitely see why you weren't overly impressed with Unravel Me. Juliette is a kind of weak character, but I liked how she kind of gained momentum near the ending. I totally agree about Adam! I feel like Tahereh's setting up Juliette to be with Warner. Aww also Altered doesn't seem as amazing as Crewel either. I definitely will be watching out for the romance if I chose to read it. Fantastic reviews, Aneeqah! <33

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of the Crewel series, but I would like to, sounds pretty good. Kenji is pretty great isn't he?!?! Glad you enjoyed Unravel Me. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unravel Me
    Awww it sucks you don't like the Shatter Me series that much. I just love it for some reason but you're write about how the poetic writing sort of lowers in the second book. I think it's definitely a series that is either for you or not at all so I can't blame ya ;) Juliette did annoy me greatly though in Unravel Me I was so thankful for Kenji to give her that somewhat of a wake up call.

    Altered
    You're right! Where's the beautiful cover. I found Crewel certainly more on the interesting side of things. I want to continue the series just more out of curiosity than anything. I dunno why but the whole concept of Crewel was confusing to me.The romance is definitely horrible in this series though...i just don't know what to think!

    Anyway great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by on my blog! I read and appreciate every comment left on the blog. =) Feel free to say anything that you want- like if you disagree about a review, as long as it's polite. ;) I love hearing different opinions!

*Note: This is an award-free blog. I love that I get nominated for awards, but I don't have enough time to forward the award on. Sorry!