Sunday, June 22, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (16): Overboard at the Library Edition!

Hello everyone! Welcome to my Stacking the Shelves post this week. You can find out all about the meme here. Basically, it’s hosted by Tynga over at Tynga Reviews, and it’s a way to share the books you received each week.

So apparently it’s summer for the rest of the world, but because I’m on summer break, I didn’t even notice. Winking smile The days have officially started to smush together (as in, I had no idea it was Sunday today, I definitely thought it was Wednesday…) although my sleep schedule is still semi-normal. Regardless, I finally had the chance to go to the library to get some summer reading books. I swear, I did my absolute best to be really picky about what I got, but, I still ended up checking out a TON of books…

So here we are! Book titles are bolded and linked back to Goodreads for your convenience, as always.

Library

IMG_3149[1]

  • Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott: Honestly, I can’t believe I haven’t read this book yet. It totally sounds like my kind of thing, plus, Victoria Scott is a local author. I know for a fact that this book is going to be one heck of a ride!
  • Control by Lydia Kang: I’ve been craving a sci-fi read lately, honestly, and so Control sounds like the perfect book. Also, the cover is absolutely gorgeous, so there’s that.
  • Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay: This is another one that I can’t believe I haven’t read yet. I’ve seen the most amazing of reviews, and this sounds like such an intriguing dystopian, which I love.
  • Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy: This book is also by a local author! I’m sure all by fellow local Texan people are smacking their faces right now because I haven’t read books by authors who I like, see at events and stuff. I’m lame, I know, but at least I’m remedying the solution by reading SEMV soon!!
  • The Uprising by Lisa M. Stasse: So I saw this at the library, and having just finished The Forsaken, I decided to pick it up in hopes that it would be better than the first. I’m currently reading this one right now, and unfortunately, I’m thinking it might end up being a DNF.
  • The Program by Suzanne Young: The concept of this book seems pretty simple to me, but I’ve had a lot of close blogger friends say they thought it was amazing, so I think it’s about time I picked this book up to see for myself!
  • The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider: Despite this book having some mixed reviews, I decided to get it anyways, mainly because I have seen some good blogger friends recommend it, and because I thought I’d need something lighter and quick to balance out all my other heavy, dystopian reads.
  • The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler (not pictured): This book is currently upstairs in my sister’s room, who is sleeping (because I had no idea it was Sunday and so I’m doing this post early in the morning, oops), so I have no picture for you all. However, I’ve been super excited about this book for a while, and I think it’s just going to be a fun contemp in general.
  • The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski (not pictured): I’m forcing my sister to read this book as well, which is why it’s not in the picture, because it’s also in her room. I just finished this one because I needed something hardcore good, and just AHHH. My feels. Torn to shreds. I don’t even know how I’ll be able to write a review for this one, but just a friendly note: GO GET THIS BOOK.


Well, that’s it for me! I’ve been pretty stingy with buying books, because, well, I’m waiting for my (first!!) paycheck to buy books with my own money (yes, you can probably anticipate a giveaway when that paycheck comes along!). I’ve also been avoiding NG because I’m terrible about reviewing NG books, honestly. I’ll get on it one day. Maybe. Winking smile 

What did YOU get in your mailbox this week?

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE Of Beast and Beauty and Book of Broken Hearts is such a fantastic contemporary as well. Glad you enjoyed The Winner's Curse so much--the hype ruined it for me a bit but I'm curious to see where the series heads. Enjoy your haul, Aneeqah--I definitely need to get down to the library myself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really curious about The Program. I like the premise a lot. And The Winner's Curse isn't something I'd normally want to read, but I'm so so curious because everyone seems to love it. I'll have to try and get that from my library soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ALWAYS have problems limiting myself at the library. It's just such a beautiful place, lol! Good haul! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohmy, nice haul! I've been meaning to read The Program but I unfortunately I still can't find it anywhere in our country (guess I have to try harder in looking for it)..

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeep! So many gorgeous spines :) I hope you enjoy Fire and Flood. I've only seen either raving or negative reviews O.o *fingers crossed* Of Beast and Beauty is something all my frends adore and it's such a unique take on Beauty and the Beast, or so I've heard :) Take a lot of patience with SEMV since I hear that the MC is kind of.. well, a LOT annoying, but the character growth is totally worth it :) Ehh. Amber didn't enjoy Uprising either, I hope it picks up for you, Aneeqah! The Program is, too, something that my blogging friends have enjoyed quite a lot. Heh :) Sarah Ockler. Really need to read one by her and realllllly need to read TWC which is sitting on my shelf. I'm so happy you adored it and I hope to see your review soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES TO LIBRARY BOOKS, ANEEQAH! Fortunately, I've read half of the books you got this week, and I can happily say they are all really enjoyable! Fire & Flood is super exciting, The Beginning of Everything is really thought-provoking, The Program is just all sorts of awesome, and Side Effects May Vary is definitely a different cancer story. Happy reading, dear!! :D (let the reading, BEGIN!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you now have the time to read all the books Aneeqah, I too would run to the library as soon as I was free. You're really lucky as your library keeps some amazing books. I usually have to wait ages, or they don't order them in so I have to end up buying them. Siiri recently bought me a copy of Of Beast and Beauty and I can't wait to start it! I hope you enjoy all your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY for The Winner's Curse! You're going to absolutely love it…I promise! It's really a wonderfully-written story. I can't wait to see what you think about all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to read The Beginning of Everything for a while! Great haul!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice haul, glad you have some free time to read them now :D

    I think I get even more jealous when I see library hauls....why? my library doesn't have any of the new books or other books I want to read. It's a very small one >.<

    My new additions ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by on my blog! I read and appreciate every comment left on the blog. =) Feel free to say anything that you want- like if you disagree about a review, as long as it's polite. ;) I love hearing different opinions!

*Note: This is an award-free blog. I love that I get nominated for awards, but I don't have enough time to forward the award on. Sorry!