Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Teen Talks (14): Falling (Back) in Love with Blogging

The Teen Talks is a semi-regular discussion type feature here on the blog, that allows me to talk about a variety of things from my teen perspective.

I know I typically try to do this feature on Fridays, but I’m making a bit of an exception here because I think it’s important. I know I’ve also been gone quite a while; school had simply swallowed my soul. However, I’ve been out for 5 days now, and despite sitting down and starting post after post and thinking endlessly about my blog, I haven’t written anything publishable in those 5 days.

So, I think it’s time to go back to the basics.

What made me fall in love with blogging?

Most of you know that I started out as a co-blogger, and made the leap when the person whose blog I wrote on suggested I go ahead and start my own. The idea was so alluring. I would finally have my own littler corner of the expansive world wide web. Something that was totally and completely mine. Something I could tinker around with, mess up, and generally have fun with.

So, with that, this blog was born.

As time went on and the blogosphere changed, especially the book community, this blog was a constant. I kept posting my reviews, doing a few memes, and just generally doing what I wanted. However, consistency was something I was always so angry with myself about. I needed to be consistent with my posts, after all. How would my blog ever be successful? How would I gain loyal readers? How would I be successful?

It’s interesting, however, that we live in a world that is marked by inconsistencies. We live our lives in a routine for a while, until something comes along that changes the course of our lives. When we look back at our life and the key points, we see that those key points were the inconsistencies.

And there I was trying to maintain consistency in a world where inconsistency is what almost always ends up happening.

So after having so much time to think about blogging, I think I’ve finally come back to the reason of why I even began in the first place, although I don’t think I consciously realized these reasons when I began.

I blog for me. I blog because it’s one of the things I myself control, and no one else.

I blog because sometimes, just sometimes, I end up writing something beautiful, even if it’s only a phrase, and when I go back to look at it, I can’t help but thinking, “Are those… my words?”. There is a sense of pride and happiness and accomplishment of seeing what I’ve written that I think is actually good that I don’t think I can ever let go of.

I also blog because of the community. It’s irrevocably changed since I first began (saying this makes me feel old, but apparently I’ve been around for a while- who even realized?). Drama seems to fill every corner, but even after I returned to Twitter this week, I realized that there is still so much good in the community. So much passion. So much love.

I blog for the beauty of words, and because sometimes, I need to read and review just to remind myself that my problems aren’t the biggest in the world. There’s just something about reading near-death scenes and emotional breakdowns from a perspective of a teen that has gone through thing 90498374 times worse than me that really helps me come to terms with my own issues, and how relatively, they’re not that bad.

I blog for me, I blog to find the beauty in my own words and others, and I blog because I can.

Sometimes, it’s as simple as that.

This is why I fell in love with blogging, and I know for a fact that this is exactly how I’ll fall back in love with blogging as well.

So, why do YOU blog? Have you ever lost sight of your reasons for blogging? Have you ever fallen out of love with blogging? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. I think most of us have fallen out of love with blogging at some point...maybe not "like" but definitely love. It's hard to be a full time blogger when you have so much else going on in your life or there is all this blogger drama you just don't understand.

    Anyway, I think your reasons for blogging fit my own. I blog because i like to share my thoughts about things, and sometimes I DO find myself writing something that just inspires me to write more. I'm not the best writer, but I try and I think blogging makes me think and analyze more, but it also opens me up to a fun community and new products and books I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I blog because I like to share my reading experience and pass it on. I love it when a person picks up a book because of my recommendation and loves it, and then we can discuss and debate. Sometimes the controversial books are the most fun because we can rant, pant and have fun. I guess I blog for love of a story that takes me away from my every day real life. It's a hobby, but I must confess sometimes it feels like a 2nd job. I have a full time job and when blogging feels more like work, I try and pull back. It shouldn't feel that way. I totally understand why you wouldn't consistently post. School demands so much thought and attention and it should be the priority.

    Great post and thoughts, Aneeqah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Aneeqah. I love this post so so much. I'm so glad you decided to make this post as your "returning post", because it has kind of opened my eyes to why I fell in love with blogging, too. I love the way you described how inconsistencies are the things we remember, because it's actually so true. And writing because returning back to it another day, and that ONE BEAUTIFUL PHRASE surprises you because you actually wrote it. Yes, blog because it's interesting for other people to read what you write, but it's so incredibly important to blog for YOURSELF. Beautiful post, dear! <3 I welcome you back with open arms :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm experiencing the same thing, Aneeqah, where I feel obliged almost to keep churning out reviews to please my followers and continue to gain more. Like you, though, I began my blog to share my love of words and my love of books and going back to those basics is something I need to do as well, particularly to get out more reviews I can be proud of which generate discussion opposed to followers and readership. Lovely post, dear -- so thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you blog for you--I think that's so important. I know for me, there was a time when I wasn't blogging for myself, and I kinda started to hate blogging--I felt so much pressure to post, and comment on a million blogs, and participate in everything. But after I realized I wanted to blog for myself, I got so much happier, since I was blogging the way that I wanted and at the frequency I wanted. I stopped feeling guilty if I missed a week or two and wasn't so paranoid about how many comments or views each post was getting. So, yeah. I think your post is spot on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by on my blog! I read and appreciate every comment left on the blog. =) Feel free to say anything that you want- like if you disagree about a review, as long as it's polite. ;) I love hearing different opinions!

*Note: This is an award-free blog. I love that I get nominated for awards, but I don't have enough time to forward the award on. Sorry!